Monday, March 24, 2008

Blog #10: The Tag Cloud Saga continues...

I think I might officially hate tag clouds. The truth is that I want to be able to use the tag cloud widget on our site the same way it's used on the wordpress blog and it doesn't seem like an option with a free tag cloud widget. I made a tag cloud out of a sample of 20 words that we can use as pretty general tags on our wiki and I like it but it's small. If they want to keep it and use it I think they should have a list of at least 100 words for tags. I'm also not sure if they'll even want to use it or if it will be just one more step people won't want to do. It's hard to say. I don't know how useful it's going to be to them to see the amount of times a tag shoes up on the site but maybe it will be. It's pretty cool idea but it takes too long to update and it is kind of a pain. I used tag-cloudgenerator.com and I couldn't find a better one. I liked the way it came out and I like the way it goes onto the site so far but I'm just not sure of it in general.

Looking toward the future I think we have to finish it all up and tie up loose ends at this point and move forward with our quick start guide and training materials. I'm not really worried about those as Kay knows what she's doing and I've had a little bit of experience with it as well. I think our training materials will go well and will loom great. We just have to come up with a list of everything that needs to be included as well as write the scripts and just do it.

Also my counter widget is up and running correctly and I like it a lot. I'm glad we changed. I'm glad we're using an easier service and I'm glad it has some additional features that I think are pretty cool. I'm pretty proud of the way the wiki is coming together, especially when you think that none of us had any idea how to do this in the beginning.

2 comments:

Carly said...

Good job with the tag cloud, Amanda! AND the counter widget. Even if Nancy doesn't want to use the tag cloud, at least now you kow how they work and how to set one up. That's what this whole project is about. Go team! :)

Mary Alice Ball said...

My greatest satisfaction from teaching this class comes not from your final deliverables, however great they may be, but more from seeing you all come together as teams. I hope that you will find the bonds formed in the class continue on into the future.